Monday, September 3, 2012

I never write enough.

I last wrote on this blog 6 months ago. It makes me laugh to think about how my life has drastically changed since then.
I spent a summer in New York City.
I fell in love with my best friend.
I went back to being his best friend.
I couldn't be happier.

It's funny how people play a part in our lives sometimes. Being open to any situation can help you build the most amazing relationships. Understanding that life is so temporary and not even that hidden tattoo on your hip is something you can count on to always be there, at least always looking the same.
We build our happiness upon situations and people. As humans, we love understanding and being able to know what comes next. The truth is, the unexpected is what will bring us the great joys in life.
Sometimes you just have to let down your hair and stick your head all the way out of the sun-roof to feel adrenaline and sometimes you have to get lost the Bronx without a phone to realize how much security in life you take for granted.
Sometimes when you're feeling sad you have to cry and then you decide: is this something I have control over or is this something that I just have to have faith in?
When you receive an unexpected kiss, don't go home and pretend that you're seventeen again and this person is going to worship you, but maybe they just enjoy your company.
Not only has this summer taught me that I am more blessed than I had ever believed before, but it has taught me to truly live in the moment.

When you're in NYC, you have no other choice than to live for now.
For example, you're running late for work and you can't find your Metrocard. The subway pulls into the station and you're not on the platform yet. You can either take the time to buy a new card or ask for a replacement and be 15-20 minutes late to work or you hop the turnstyle and run like hell to get on that subway and not get arrested. It's up to you to live for that moment and take the chance!

Another example might be you're walking down the street in Greenwich Village and you see a project runway sign and photography equipment set up. You're meeting a friend soon, but do you go over and get involved or do you wait to see what others are doing there? You're damn right, you take that opportunity!

These are awful examples, but you get the point. You take the opportunity or it's gone. You don't worry about the next day, hour, minute, second-- but you're truly living for the fact that whatever happens, you'll be living an adventure.

Was my New York City internship escapade difficult? Terrifying at times?
 You bet.
Was it more amazing and eye-opening than I could have hoped for?
More so than I could ever explain with words.

I had my heart trampled on hundreds of times within the two months I was there-- by my boss, by my coworkers, by my roommates, by strangers, by my best friend. I cried in public; on the street, at a sushi bar, in a theatre, on the subway. My fists were clenched in frustration. My confidence was tested. I let it all out-- and then, I did it.

After I realized how strong I truly became, and how these people who crushed me at times, had made me a more confident and powerful person, I fell in love with New York City.
I was able to fight my self-doubt. I was able to let down my walls. I was able to run and skip and sing. I explored and I let the city become my hidden treasure. I only knew about the things I could do-- not the things I could not.

I had one of the best weeks of my life with my best friend Ben. We stayed up until 4am walking the streets. We got up at 5am to either experience Times Square in semi-silence or to get discounted Broadway tickets. We took hours to make fun of modern art. We took the ferry at sunset. We shared an umbrella in a diagonal downpour so that we could get some of the best cheesecake at 3am to ever exist.

I thought my life could not get any more perfect.

Then he left, back to the real world. Things would never be that way again-- for NYC is the city that makes you feel the presence of love. But that didn't mean that I didn't love him still as my best friend, and that I wasn't so happy that I got to know him on a completely more amazing level. I really did. I really do.

I am so happy that I am to the point in my life where I don't see things and situations life that even as a negative thing-- but I see love as something you can never be sad about until it all the way gone. Relationships are funny like that; one moment you're laying in bed together and then next you're that friend that they just want to get coffee with. Is the love really any less?
I would type forever and ever (and ever) about how amazing my life has become, but currently sleep is the next thing on my agenda.
Probably I'll write again in 6 months time-- who knows what could happen!?


No comments:

Post a Comment